stay with a hostfamily: good for your Spanish, you will
learn more about the
culture and it's a great way to get to know the friendly
- follow Spanish lessons! APPE is highly recommendable:
it's a good school and
they can arrange a hostfamily
for you as well (www.appeschool.com);
- experience Semana Santa (week before Easter), especially
- visit Tikal, Lago Atitlan, Todos Santos, the volcanic
beach of Monterrico and
Chichicastenango. Go by yourself
or book a trip at Julio, not the cheapest but
good service and very friendly (5a
Calle Poniente no. 6 in Antigua);
- enjoy some of Antiguas best (and cheaper) places to eat
or just have coffee:
Doña Luisa, Rainbow
Cafe, Cafe Condesa, Frida's or La Fuente. There are many
more good places, so find out
- check your account regularly, sometimes banks deduct the
money that you
- go to the Copan ruins in Honduras if you have the time.
These ruines are worth
the trip and it's an easy
way for renewing your visa;
- take the chickenbus, it's cheap and fun!
fly Iberia, may be cheap but very poor service. We lost
our bags for 5 days!
- climb the Pacaya on your own, book an excursion!
- go out too late at night and try to avoid nightbuses.
Guatemala is a great
country but not always that
safe. During both times we were here, we never
experienced any kind of trouble but it's
still wise to check up to date travel
- take pictures unasked!